top of page

Planning Permission


Maintenance on foundations generally does not require planning permission.

However, if you live in a listed building or designated area (conservation area, national park, area of outstanding natural beauty) you should check with your local planning authority before carrying out any work.



Building Regulations


If you need to underpin all or part of the foundations of your building, building regulations apply. The regulations specifically define this as 'building work' and appropriate measures must be applied to ensure the underpinning stabilises the movement of the building.

Particular attention will need to be given to any sewers and drains near the work.

Underpinning is a method of construction that sees the depth of the foundations to a building being increased. The soil beneath the existing foundation is excavated and is replaced with foundation material, normally concrete, in phases.

Underpinning requires close attention to design, methodology and safety procedures.  If not carried out properly, this kind of work poses very real risks and could see damage to or collapse of the existing home.

The reasons for underpinning are generally:

The existing foundations of the building have moved – this is caused by poor soil or changes to the soil conditions (e.g. subsidence has occurred).

There has been a decision to add another storey to the building, either above or below ground level, and the depth of the existing foundations is inadequate to support the modified building or load (weight) of it.

Underpinning work requires very careful planning and execution.  If you propose to underpin an existing foundation, approval under the building regulations will normally be required.  Gaining such approval will usually involve the preparation of a structural design of the underpinning, including the process to be carried out during construction.  An initial step, before substantial commencement of the work, will generally be for a trial hole to be dug next to the existing footings for a structural engineer or surveyor to make an assessment of the circumstances of the case.


Call us for further advice: 01282 451428

bottom of page